Presenting the most comfortable dress I ever made! I’m still twirling in delight as I type this!! (okay not literally but I’m pretty excited as you can tell).
On the summer inspiration menu today is an extra simple but super on trend dress! For this dress you just need to be able to cute two rectangles, hem and add elastic to it! Trust me it doesn’t get much easier than this.
Now it shouldn’t surprise you too much that I wanted this dress to be multi-functional. I believe that an outfit truly earns its place in my closet when it can be worn a couple different ways (which reminds me, I’m due for a closet purge >.<).
If I had a thicker chest or if I made the shoulders tighter I could have worn this as a strapless dress as well but oh well 🙂 one-shoulder would have to suffice.
This would be perfect for all of the summer barbecues because you can eat to your heart’s content without looking like you’ve been stuffed into your jeans. And you can probably sneak a treat or two away in all this volume 😀 (JK. please don’t say I sent you to do that oo!)
So if you would like to DIY this dress here are a few easy peasy steps to follow. Even if you don’t sew, fabric glue should work just as well.
- Figure out how long you want the dress and the overlay to be.
- Cut out the dress rectangle, add about 4 inches to the width for some extra room.
- Cut out the overlay (this should be 3 times your shoulder width or 2.5 depending on how much volume you want).
- Seal off both rectangles with sewing or fabric glue.
- Center the bodice under the over lay. (This might be a good time to cut out arm holes for yourself).
- Attach the overlay to the bodice with a zig-zag stitch or your fabric glue.
- Fold over the top edge to create a case for your elastic to go through. (The elastic should stretch comfortably around your shoulders.
- Using a safety pin, feed your elastic through the hole and sew the ends. (I would recommend sewing this part just for added security.
- Close up your hole and hem any raw edges.
There you go! A summer dress made by you ^_^
Until next time, let me know if you try this out! 😀
Pictures by Willyverse