I am beyond delighted to be sitting at home typing this on this gloriously rainy day. I have taken a walk, had breakfast and now sipping a cup of chamomile as I watch the rain fall. Could there be a more perfect day?
Well maybe not more perfect but the day I made this jumpsuit was pretty high up there. This is so comfortable and breezy and rather chic if I do say so my self. I attempted making a jumpsuit a few years ago and to say that didn’t go well would be a huge understatement. So starting off with this project I was very cautious and tried to give a bit more allowance and it certainly paid off.
To cut, I used sweatpants and a chiffon camisole that I have. I cut out the pants first and made sure I could slip them on with absolutely no resistance. This is an important step because if the pants are even a little bit snug you may not be able to enter into your jumpsuit at all. Also consider that my fabric has no stretch so I really couldn’t risk not having the allowance.
For the top I cut it in three pieces; one front piece and two back pieces. I did this so that I could have the key hole opening I created here. This also allows me enter into the jumpsuit, again as the fabric has no stretch to it I had to really consider my entry and exit points.
To finish things off, I connected the top to the bottom with a waist band and added an elastic band with a zigzag stitch to give it a bit more shape.
Added straps, strings to tie the back and finished my neck line and voila!
Say hello to the summer uniform 😛 The floral print really drew me to this fabric and I was absolutely thrilled with how this turned out 🙂
New year, New theme and fresh goals :D. It feels great to be blogging and sewing again!
Now let’s talk about this jacket real quick…I know I’ve said a bunch of times that some project or the other has been “the most challenging” blah blah blah but this is the project that rules them all!
It’s been a pretty mild winter in Toronto, (I say this now then watch it drop to -22 *knock on wood*) so I decided it might be nice to have a fun coat for the warmer days. I would share my first attempt at this in a future post, however it didn’t take me long to realize that a fleece lined “cardigan” is no match even for Toronto’s mildest days. Also keep in mind that I shiver at the slightest gust of wind so I’m not sure why I thought that would work.
Anyhow, I decided it was time to ramp things up so off to King textiles I went and I bought this quilted lined fabric so it would be a little warmer. I would recommend buying about a yard and a half for a bomber jacket just so you have wiggle room for any unforeseen mishaps.
In the past I would have kept it simple and just lined the outer Ankara layer with the quilted fabric from the store but BEHOLD! old things have passed away (Amen somebody) and I decided to make this a reversible jacket.
For difficulty I would rate this an 8/10 if you don’t really know what you’re doing and maybe a 6.5/10 if you’re a sewing savant and you just make quilts for breakfast. WithWendy‘s varsity jacket tutorial was a great help with helping me figure out where to even begin and how to cut my fabric.
The part I found most challenging though was adding the neck band. I must have taken it out and sewn it back at least 6 or 7 times before deciding to let it be.
Still in the process of modifying the long-cardigan-coat-thing that I made before this one but I thought this was too good to not share right away 😀
I would say that this jacket can withstand -3 at the coldest but that’s good enough for me.