DIY Chambray playsuit
Summer is coming to an end friends and I have not been very present here. No excuses just acknowledging my absence and letting that hang in the air for a few seconds. Alright now shall we?
Soooooo…I may not have blogged as much as I would like this summer but I haven’t left my sewing machine to rust and croak. Presenting my new and dare I say improved take on a romper. You may remember a couple years ago now my first successful attempt at a one piece with leg holes 🙂 ahh simpler times ❤ . Anyhow now we have grown and started adding zippers and trimming and bias tape like it’s not a thing!
Putting this together went relatively well however, no project is without it’s challenges so I will be remiss if I didn’t mention the challenges of sorting out a fly zipper. This is a newly acquired skill for me so I have to follow along with the YouTube tutorial. Between watching the screen and flicking away at seams with my seam ripper, I may have knicked the fabric once or twice (or four times). All things considered I am pretty happy with how things turned out.
To finish off, I will leave you with a quote that’s been getting me through the last few days of summer, amidst trying moments and moments of fear and trepidation:
“You will keep in perfect peace all who trust in you, all whose thoughts are fixed on you” – Isaiah 26:3
My prayers are with all those impacted by Hurricane Harvey and many others around the world displaced by war, nature or economy. I pray for perfect peace.
How to make a romper
Hey guys! So you remember that Aaliyah song; “try again”? I was sitting in front of my sewing machine a couple of weeks ago and this song had never been truer. After two failed attempts at making a romper daddy Lord has delivered me!!! My first attempt resulted in my patterned shorts, my second attempt failed so woefully I didn’t have the heart to take pictures but well well, third time’s the charm dearies 😀 ( I need to stop watching once upon a time).
I did a number of things differently this time around but what made the biggest difference was the fabric choice. I made this with double knit fabric which has plenty of stretch. I also made the top very roomy to account for the issues I had the first time around. Finally, I tried to make it “high-waisted’ because I have realized that shorts without waistbands just don’t quite get to my waist, then again maybe I’m just doing something wrong.
The difficulty of this project, taking into account that I only got it right on my third try is an 8/10. This specific romper however was not as challenging, possibly cause I had done it a couple of times before.The only thing I would change is the way the back hangs. I think I might have been a little too generous with the fabric on top. It wasn’t as difficult as I thought it would be to match up the stripes. I also decided to cuff the bottom because hemming this fabric made it spread all weird for some reason.
All in all I was very satisfied. I shall now live in this romper and my kimono for the rest of summer.
I took advantage of the first hot day in a long long time and went to the park with my brother.Got some delicious Vitamin d in.
Pictures by Willyverse