So I know its been a little while since I posted something here, specifically something fashion related. I have made a thousand excuses about why I shouldn’t or dare I say “couldn’t” post anything. “oh I don’t have any pictures”, “Oh I have work to do”, “Oh Peter Panky stressed me out and now I can’t post” weeell I’m done making excuses. I made this sweater in September and I’ve gotten a ton of compliments on it and even a few requests to recreate it for others (which I am going to do btw).
Firstly I would like to say thank you to WithWendy on youtube for posting the amazing tutorial that I used to make this sweater. I made a couple of adjustments and I think it turned out fabulously. I used 1.5 yards of double knit fabric. I would rate the difficulty of this project a 4/10. It was pretty basic once I cut everything out, my main challenge was when my sewing machine got drunk and did this…
My sewing on this project was also not quite straight but I’m getting better though. At least it was straight enough not to make the sweater bunch up weirdly. I thought it would be a cute touch to add the little gold buttons on the cuffs. To be perfectly honest, I had a completely different sketch for this sweater but somehow I just ended up sticking to this. I have no regrets though, I would certainly revisit my initial sketch for a future project.
One last thing; where is the best place to get fabric downtown Toronto? Cause my fabric shopping experience was so-so.
So this week I took a trip to the fabric store in search of two things, some lining for a dress I’m working on and some really pretty lace I spotted on my last trip to the fabric store. However as I entered, what wondrous thing did my eyes behold?… A SALE!!! All my initial plans went out the window and although I still managed to pick up the lining, I also bagged two fabulous extras.
When I spotted both fabrics, the first thing that came to mind was “Romper!”. The colors went fabulously together and when I cut and pinned it all together I was giddy with excitement, Alas my excitement was very short lived as I absolutely butchered the top of my romper through bad measurements. The shorts had however worked pretty well so I decided to make that worth my while
I would rank the difficulty of this project at 7/10 (beginner’s opinion)
My initial challenge with the shorts was the way it sat way too low in the back. This was fixed by adding a waistband.
After adding the waistband I found that the waistband did not quite fit my waist so I decided to take it out., fold it over and add a piece for buttons. This seemed like a great idea until I tried it on and realized it looked absolutely ridiculous. There was a huge magical gap that appeared out of nowhere between my body and the waistband for no apparent reason and they shorts sat really low once again.
Tired and frustrated I decided to sleep on it and try again the next day.
I took out the waist band once again, unfolded it and re-attached but of course it was still too big. And then I discovered the magic of darts!!! I could have saved myself the trial and error by just doing a teeny bit of research but alas I had to discover things for myself. After fiddling with the darts here and there, I finally managed to get the shorts right. Popped in a couple of buttons and ta daah!
It was certainly worth the trouble. Absolutely love these bad boys!
How I made my chiffon top
So as my sewing journey begins I have attempted a few things not all of which have really worked out (a.k.a its a 70-30 split between bad and good).
Anyhow, I decided to make a little hit list of stuff I intend to sew. At the very top of that list? A floaty tank top and since I had only just bought waaay too much chiffon I decided to put that puppy to good use.
As a project, I would rank the difficulty level a 4/10.
*My primary issue as usual was sewing a straight line. So simple yet so complex *sigh*.
*My second issue was the utter flimsyness of chiffon. Seeing as I’ve been working with cotton for the most part I was a little frustrated with how easily chiffon slips and slides all over the place.
*My final challenge was cutting perfect lines. I intend to invest in a roller cutter in the very near future.
All in all I was content with the outcome. 😀
People barely noticed the flaws and it would look absolutely adorable with jeans and itty bitty skirts.
Super excited for projects to come 🙂