It’s been a little while since I posted about my sewing so here we go :). At the start of the year, my cousin asked if I could upcycle a dress for her. (Upcycling is basically recycling old clothes). This particular dress was custom made for her but well…things didn’t quite turn out so great. It was challenging but exciting to remodel this skirt. I was quite pleased with the results. Made me want a midi-skirt for myself actually, I guess that will be a project for another day.
My main challenges with making this skirt were;
-fixing previous mistakes
-attaching the zipper (as usual)
-attaching the lining and *wait for it*
The lining was really only difficult because I wasn’t working from scratch, or maybe not. Either way it was more than just a little difficult to basically sew a skirt within a skirt. As this was my first time SUCCESSFULLY adding pockets to anything, I was pretty excited.
I would rate the difficulty of this project at a 6/10 if you’re making a skirt from a dress or a 4/10 if you’re starting from scratch (I would assume).
I started off by cutting off the top piece of the dress and cutting the bottom of the skirt to midi length then I hemmed it.
I opened up the sides of the skirt and added pockets. Finally, I took off the waistband, adjusted the size and reattached it to the skirt, being careful to maintain preexisting pleats. While this seems fairly basic, it was rather time consuming.
I feel it turned out pretty well all in all. Seeing her in this skirt made me really really want it though, 0_0. *skips off to sewing machine*