Relish

Mustard Yellow Bodycon Dress

mustard dress

Hey Guys!!

I am still so proud of my self for making this dress and just so pleased at how the shoot turned out. This fall the colors I was inspired by were brown, mustard yellow, grey and forest green so of course when I saw this fabric I had to have it. That touches on my impulsive buying habits just a little but that’s a story for another day.

kinky hair

natural hair shot

This is most definitely not a beginner project in my opinion, but then again with the right pattern and careful cutting you can achieve greatness. I started out by making my pattern from different articles of clothing that I own and adjusted for length and minor details like the shape of the neck hole. After which I cut everything out.

Mustard yellow dress

fall style 2015

I attached the top bodice pieces to each other on the sides and then attached those to the bottom of the dress which I had also sewn up on the sides. Next I sewed the shoulders together and then proceeded to attach the sleeves. Now do not be deceived, I had to redo that step a few times before I got it right but all’s well that ends well.

Bodycon dress

Afro hair

Then the two most frustrating parts came upon me; putting in the zipper and finishing the raw edges!! I’m still not very good at sewing straight lines so needless to say hemming was an absolute disaster. This fabric is also so unforgiving because it curls up if your lines aren’t straight. This was the point I resorted to my trusty pal hemming tape. Hemming tape has been a friend in times of need. When my sewing machine refuses to work with me, I know hemming tape would stand by me. I love you hemming tape! Okay a little dramatic I know but it’s really true.

yellow shift dress

Then of course there was my eternal struggle with putting in the zipper but I got it as right as I could really. Lest I forget, to achieve the finish I have on the neckline, I cut out the shape of the neck line in 3 inch strips and sewed those on then flipped them inside and tacked them down. There is probably a more technical term for that but #teamSelfTaught, we don’t curr bout all dat.

DSCF8003

Yellow dress

Pictures by Willyverse

The trip to midi

Hey hey!

It’s been a little while since I posted about my sewing so here we go :). At the start of the year, my cousin asked if I could upcycle a dress for her. (Upcycling is basically recycling old clothes). This particular dress was custom made for her but well…things didn’t quite turn out so great. It was challenging but exciting to remodel this skirt. I was quite pleased with the results. Made me want a midi-skirt for myself actually, I guess that will be a project for another day.

My main challenges with making this skirt were;

-fixing previous mistakes

-attaching the zipper (as usual)

-attaching the lining and *wait for it*

-pockets!!!

The lining was really only difficult because I wasn’t working from scratch, or maybe not. Either way it was more than just a little difficult to basically sew a skirt within a skirt. As this was my first time SUCCESSFULLY adding pockets to anything, I was pretty excited.

I would rate the difficulty of this project at a 6/10 if you’re making a skirt from a dress or a 4/10 if you’re starting from scratch (I would assume).

Ibegan-Trip to MidiBegin- Trip to midi

I started off by cutting off the top piece of the dress and cutting the bottom of the skirt to midi length then I hemmed it.

Trip to midi- BeginBegin-Midi Skirt

I opened up the sides of the skirt and added pockets. Finally, I took off the waistband, adjusted the size and reattached it to the skirt, being careful to maintain preexisting pleats.  While this seems fairly basic, it was rather time consuming.

IMG_0103IMG_0104

I feel it turned out pretty well all in all. Seeing her in this skirt made me really really want it though, 0_0. *skips off to sewing machine*

 

 

Midi Skirt- Ibegan