Mustard Yellow Bodycon Dress
I am still so proud of my self for making this dress and just so pleased at how the shoot turned out. This fall the colors I was inspired by were brown, mustard yellow, grey and forest green so of course when I saw this fabric I had to have it. That touches on my impulsive buying habits just a little but that’s a story for another day.
This is most definitely not a beginner project in my opinion, but then again with the right pattern and careful cutting you can achieve greatness. I started out by making my pattern from different articles of clothing that I own and adjusted for length and minor details like the shape of the neck hole. After which I cut everything out.
I attached the top bodice pieces to each other on the sides and then attached those to the bottom of the dress which I had also sewn up on the sides. Next I sewed the shoulders together and then proceeded to attach the sleeves. Now do not be deceived, I had to redo that step a few times before I got it right but all’s well that ends well.
Then the two most frustrating parts came upon me; putting in the zipper and finishing the raw edges!! I’m still not very good at sewing straight lines so needless to say hemming was an absolute disaster. This fabric is also so unforgiving because it curls up if your lines aren’t straight. This was the point I resorted to my trusty pal hemming tape. Hemming tape has been a friend in times of need. When my sewing machine refuses to work with me, I know hemming tape would stand by me. I love you hemming tape! Okay a little dramatic I know but it’s really true.
Then of course there was my eternal struggle with putting in the zipper but I got it as right as I could really. Lest I forget, to achieve the finish I have on the neckline, I cut out the shape of the neck line in 3 inch strips and sewed those on then flipped them inside and tacked them down. There is probably a more technical term for that but #teamSelfTaught, we don’t curr bout all dat.
Pictures by Willyverse